Monday, September 26, 2011

To begin with

Hello everyone
I am really excited about typing my first post as the requirement of the online webskills couse.
As a blogger for quite some time, I can say that what really attracts me about blogging is the opportunity it gives to reflect on even unimportant daily encounters, and make it possible to turn these small details of the day into an "experience".
One of the main benefits of keeping a teaching blog then is to dig into what is going on in our classes, and evaluate it with a critical point of view.
Now, I think it would be appropriate to go on with introducing my working environemnt and the classes I will be teaching this term because it is a nice coincidence that today is not only the beginning of our course but also the Fall Term at my university.
If you have read my message on the Nicenet , you must already know I am university instructor at Akdeniz University, a state university located in Antalya-Turkey, . I am a member of the School of Foreign Languages. This term I will be teaching ESP to the students of the Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, third and fourth year students. Even though the classes may sound enjoyable and challenging, the challenges are far from the nature of the course itself but mainly about the class sizes, heterogenous language level of the students, slow or inadequate internet connection.For this reason I am really wondering about to what extent I can apply what I will be learning in our webskills course.so this is going to be quite an experimental term for me.
Finally, I would like to say that it is a great thrill for me to be able to communicate with you all from here and I am looking forward to reading your comments.
Nice day

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sebnem

    It's nice to read your detailed post about your experience with both blogs and classes. I would like to know in what ways you plan to integrate blogs in your classes.

    Regards

    Tariq Hayat
    Jamshoro, Karachi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Although Serbian has a lot of Turkish words, I don`t understand this, but I hope you get my comment and that I clicked where I should.Try to change the language settings, please.Thanks, Dragana from Serbia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sebnem

    It is very nice that you plan to use blog this term with the students but as I understood you have some problems in class size and internet connection. We can work together to solve those problem before your class begin. Because if you start the class and use the blog with those mentioned problem, there will be confusion for you and your students.
    You are active and enthusiastic to begin the class, this what I feel.

    Wishes

    Eman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sebnem

    It sounds good that you are going to start the term in the university. You seem active and enthusiastic what I like really in you.
    Dear You mentioned that you are facing some problems, like class size and Internet connection. I think you have to solve these problems before the class start. Because if the class begin with the mentioned problem, will cause confusion for you and your students and you will miss the aim of blog. We can work together to solve these problems what are common to all teachers when they start using the blog for the first time.
    Wish you all the best

    Eman

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have sent two times a comments but it doesn't published . Do I have to send it again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sebnem!

    Life is all about experimenting! you're lucky that you've the lab in which you can practice your blogging. I'm sure network connection will improve with the passage of time. Besides, blogging provides learner autonomy so heterogeneous and multilevel classes greatly benefit from it. The students can learn at their own pace using their own learning strategies. I think you can look forward to success!

    Muhammad Rashid

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the assistance you're offering Eman.That's very kind of you. In fact, the problem may occur because of no internet connection in the classes. but i haven't asked anyone about it yet. -may be solved - I am busy with preparing my lesson plans more than anything else at the moment. As far as I know I have one or two small classes, consisting of 10-15 students, as well. Good for experimenting.:) Things aren't settled yet because add-drop week is next week and I will be able to meet my classes then.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Sebnem,

    This blog is terrific. I hope that you enjoy posting your reflections on it each week.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sebnem,

    I agree with you that blogging makes us think about the issues that we do not really discuss or write about.

    That's really great to start blogging in class. Yes we do have so many factors behind to consider.

    Where there is a will, there is a way.

    Regards
    Shavila

    ReplyDelete